Saturday, October 10, 2009

Thankful

It is the Thanksgiving weekend, and as I was going through some of my file folders this evening, I came across a timely piece of 'art' (I guess you'd call it) that I put together when I was in university. Somewhere in my second year, I remember I started writing down all the things I was thankful for--as I thought of them--to fill an entire sheet with thanks. I added to it over the next couple years, and eventually filled the 9x12 page. It was sort of a personal art/prayer project, I think.

I've scanned the original, which you can see a large-ish version of by clicking on it, but as this is the time to remember all the things we have to be thankful for, I took it upon myself to type out the entire list. There is so much to be thankful for! And regardless of what it is, none of it can be taken for granted. ...The list is by no means exhaustive...

  • Thank You that I have everything I need—that I want for nothing.
  • Thank You for e-mail.
  • Thank You for breathing.
  • Thank You for diamonds.
  • Thank You for CDs.
  • Thank You for candles.
  • Thank You that I can speak.
  • Thank You for pure acceptance.
  • Thank You that I can see.
  • Thank You for sunflowers.
  • Thank You that I live in a beautiful city.
  • Thank You that I am computer literate.
  • Thank You for freedom.
  • Thank You for warmth.
  • Thank You for daisies.
  • Thank You for life.
  • Thank You that I can sing.
  • Thank You for rainbows.
  • Thank You for angels.
  • Thank You that I can be silly with my friends.
  • Thank You for inspiration.
  • Thank You for Your amazing love.
  • Thank You that I have food to eat everyday.
  • Thank You that I am no longer jealous.
  • Thank You for tears.
  • Thank You for colour.
  • Thank You for warm fire places.
  • Thank You for travel.
  • Thank You that I can play the piano.
  • Thank You for mistakes.
  • Thank You for understanding.
  • Thank You for what I don’t have.
  • Thank You for hands that I can do things with.
  • Thank You for proof.
  • Thank You for kisses.
  • Thank You for Skittles!
  • Thank You for dying for me.
  • Thank You for frustration.
  • Thank You that I am literate.
  • Thank You that I have a home to go to.
  • Thank You for strength.
  • Thank You when kids listen to me.
  • Thank You when kids don’t listen to me.
  • Thank You for music.
  • Thank You for tourist attractions.
  • Thank You for the smell of raspberries.
  • Thank You that I can go to school away from home.
  • Thank You for Bailey’s.
  • Thank You for warm beaches.
  • Thank You for good parents.
  • Thank You for trust.
  • Thank You for Sprite.
  • Thank You for sweet peas.
  • Thank You that I have two legs to walk, run, rollerblade, and dance.
  • Thank You for stressful conversation.
  • Thank You for opportunities to celebrate!
  • Thank You that I can buy clothes.
  • Thank You for the use of a car.
  • Thank You for beauty.
  • Thank You for being my Best Friend.
  • Thank You for willow trees.
  • Thank You for brothers.
  • Thank You for my experience at 7-Eleven.
  • Thank You for hugs.
  • Thank You for the sunshine.
  • Thank You for butterflies.
  • Thank You for words to express feelings.
  • Thank You that I can take photographs to remember special events.
  • Thank You for warm weather.
  • Thank You for patience.
  • Thank You that I can write.
  • Thank You that I am Your child.
  • Thank You for blunt honesty.
  • Thank You for the rain to make things grow.
  • Thank You for beautiful mountains to look at and hike through.
  • Thank You for love.
  • Thank You for memories.
  • Thank You for the smell of freshly cut grass.
  • Thank You for children.
  • Thank You for friendly coworkers.
  • Thank You for fresh water to drink.
  • Thank You that I can trust people.
  • Thank You for friends from whom I have grown apart.
  • Thank You for chocolate chip cookies.
  • Thank You for experience.
  • Thank You that I can drive.
  • Thank You for coincidences.
  • Thank You for Dairy Queen blizzards.
  • Thank You for cacti.
  • Thank You for dance.
  • Thanks for walks with friends.
  • Thank You for naivety.
  • Thank You for funny stories.
  • Thank You for marriage.
  • Thank You for humbling car accidents.
  • Thank You for contacts.
  • Thank You for new people.
  • Thank You for ice cream.
  • Thank You for books to read.
  • Thank You for being vague.
  • Thank You that friends can come to visit.
  • Thank You for strawberries.
  • Thank You for death.
  • Thank You for holiday.
  • Thank You for touch.
  • Thank You for TEC.
  • Thank You for gentleness.
  • Thank You that I am never alone.
  • Thank You for words.
  • Thank You for the sunsets.
  • Thank You for honesty and truth.
  • Thank You that I am introverted.
  • Thank You for piano.
  • Thank You for innocence.
  • Thank You for the moon.
  • Thank You for coffee.
  • Thank You for beautiful music.
  • Thank You for YOU.
  • Thank You for the opportunity to travel.
  • Thank You that I am employed.
  • Thank You for the weird people!
  • Thank You for ladybugs.
  • Thank You for friendly smiles.
  • Thank You for peaches.
  • Thank You for humour.
  • Thank You for lizards.
  • Thank You for fun times.
  • Thank You for the gift of selfless behaviour.
  • Thank You that I can work with wonderful children.
  • Thank You for beautiful flowers.
  • Thank You for happy dreams.
  • Thank You for cold.
  • Thank You for concerts I can go to.
  • Thank You for a cat’s purr.
  • Thank You for perspectives other than mine.
  • Thank You for walks in a park.
  • Thank You for stress.
  • Thank You for cloud cover.
  • Thank You for those who don’t judge.
  • Thank You for the ability to learn new things.
  • Thank You for hard experiences, because they help me grow.
  • Thank You for flukes.
  • Thank You that I am healthy.
  • Thank You for cool quotes.
  • Thank You for playtime.
  • Thank You that I have oxygen to breathe.
  • Thank You for helping me out of my shell.
  • Thank You that I can hear.
  • Thank You that I am Canadian.
  • Thank You for a good relationship with my family.
  • Thank You for growth.
  • Thank You for paint.
  • Thank You for unlimited long distance.
  • Thank You for Sorrento.
  • Thank You for communication.
  • Thank You that I can deal with stress.
  • Thank You for the most amazing friendships!
  • Thank You for motivation.
  • Thank You for strength to set the example.
  • Thank You for chewing gum.
  • Thank You for good movies.
  • Thank You for romance.
  • Thank You for laughter.
  • Thank You for independence.
  • Thank You for surprises.
  • Thank You for the gift of listening.
  • Thank You for sleep.
  • Thank You for Slurpees.
  • Thank You for feelings.
  • Thank You for the colour red.
  • Thank You for the sunshine.
  • Thank You that I have seen a shooting star.
  • Thank You that I can dance.
  • Thank You for wake-up calls.
  • Thank You for scenery on road-trips.
  • Thank You that I am smart.
  • Thank You for cute babies.
  • Thank You for relaxation.
  • Thank You for sparkles.
  • Thank You for sunscreen.
  • Thank You for amusement parks.
  • Thank You for the freedom to worship.
  • Thank You for broadening my horizons every now and then.
  • Thank You for photos.
  • Thank You for Your Word.
  • Thank You for nostalgia.
  • Thank You for scholarships.
  • Thank You for the opportunities to go look at the stars.
  • Thank You for detail.
  • Thank You for the opportunity to play like children.
  • Thank You for conversation.
  • Thank You for cool shows on television.
  • Thank You for cats.
  • Thank You for summer holidays.
  • Thank You for my next heart beat.
...What are you thankful for?

1 comment:

Sigrun said...

Along with the long, long list, were I to sit down and write one, my thanks for today is for finding your and your mom's blogs.