Friday, November 21, 2008

It's a Bird, It's a Plane, It's...

...NOT Superman. But definitely something exciting!

So, I do a small flyer route in my neighbourhood (the only way I seem to be able to keep active in the winter is if someone's paying me...), and as I was finishing up yesterday evening, absorbed in my iPod, the sky lit up. I felt like the source was behind me (south-east), so I turned, thinking, "lightning? No; it's November." But by turning, I was looking in the direction of the oil refineries that lie on the outskirts of Edmonton, and one of the towers has a constant flame coming out of the top of it, so I figured the flame had a burp of extra gas or something and had emitted an extra large flame. I remember thinking, creike, if that starts happening often, gas prices are going to go back up. And that was it. I finished my route and didn't think about the event anymore... until a friend through Facebook noted the 'big flash' in her status.

I commented that we must live close to each other to have seen the same thing until one of HER friends said she saw it in Saskatchewan. Now I was confused. But shortly thereafter, yet another Facebook aquaintance revealed that it was a meteor. A meteor! So, off I went to find more details. Behold:

The written news story (I intro'd my blog before reading the article, I swear!)
Footage of Meteor on Global TV Edmonton
And if that doesn't work, check this out:



Very cool.

2 comments:

Sara said...

And isn't it cool that you were forcing yourself to be outside, or you would have missed it! :)

Gina said...

Well, had I not been where I was, I would have been in my house with a large south facing sliding door and window. So I probably would have seen it, but less intensely.