Saturday, April 4, 2009

Friends, Grey's, Drinks

My Spring Break is coming to an end, and I must say, although certainly not a Lazy Spring Break, it was a good week, and it is ending so nicely.

Yesterday was a "Grey's night" (as in Grey's Anatomy) at my friend JP's place. It's usually at her place cuz she downloads the episodes (Slingbox) each week, and has recently acquired a 52" flat-screen LCD TV. Our Grey's watching is also enhanced by a really comfy couch, and yummy drinks.

Usually we watch the most recent episode, although generally I have already seen it. It is so funny to watch it a second time as my friends yell at all the characters and react at all the right spots! (I am not generally vocal at the TV; I tend to internalize the drama, and then it resurfaces in my dreams--but that's a whole 'nuther blog post.) Last night we also watched some reruns from the 3rd season (which I have not seen). So good; so intense; so Grey's.

But more than the Grey's episodes, I just love my friends so much. I have been so blessed in my friendships in the last few years, and even moreso recently, it seems. It's like as I get older (meaning my friends are older, too), there is such a more solid sense of what friendship is all about. My friendships are much more grown-up than they were even as recently as university, and because I have even more Christian friendships now than I did several years ago, that God-foundation is just so... I dunno. The word that comes to mind is 'wholesome', but that's not even it, cuz my non-Christian friendships are wholesome, too. I dunno how to really describe it. Except that it's awesome.

I wasn't popular growing up. I mean, from Junior High onwards, I had a solid group of friends and a solid sense of myself, and I moved through my teenage years quite smoothly, all things considered. But when you've spent most of elementary with 'friends' who are friends one day and bullying/making fun of you the next, I realized as an adult that it can still have an impact on your social perceptions, even if you are confident, independent, and strong. It took a long time to believe that these friends I was making in university really did want me around, weren't going to turn their backs on me, weren't going to forget me, and valued me just because I was me. Once I was at peace with that, I didn't look back.

You can imagine the "you have got to be kidding me" feeling I had when those old thought patterns crept up in the last couple years as I found myself forming some new friendships again. I recognized the faulty thinking; I told God that I knew I had absolutely no reason not to trust these people He had blessed into my life. I told Him that He needed to squash that way of thinking--get rid of it. He totally has. My friendships--best friends right through to people I am more just acquaintances with--are all so genuine. It still blows my mind some days.

Okay, so back to Grey's night. After a stressful few weeks all around, it was just such good hang out time. We laughed a lot--I love that. When I am with any of my friends, I just love when there is laughter. Pure uncontrollable giggles to remind us that God calls us to be in relationships not just to have a confidant, not just to grow spiritually, not just to learn, but for the simple enjoyment of each other. I enjoy you.



...And then today I was Superwoman. I helped A and JM move into new apartments. Wish I could have helped JM more--kinda had to rush and then leave early. Was babysitting this evening (not my respite family). I was Superwoman there, too, as the kids and I crushed up the ice of their back yard skating rink. I am exhausted and will be heading to bed right after I finish this post.

Tomorrow I have a Haiti meeting after church, and then I look forward to one last quiet evening before heading back into my work routine on Monday. I will kinda hit the ground running on Monday, but the Spring Break has definitely done its job, because two weeks ago, I would have been dreading it, but now I feel ready.

No comments: