Friday, April 16, 2010

Shaky Thoughts

So... I don't tend to dwell on things like the rapture, the end of the world, or events in the book of Revelation; a lot of Revelation goes over my head, and as far as the end of the world, I kinda really don't care.

Still... an earthquake in Haiti, an earthquake in Chile, an earthquake in Japan, an earthquake in California, and a volcanic eruption in Iceland. The globe seems to be averaging one major disaster a month... does that seem like a high frequency to just me?

Would we even know if it was God starting to set His Revelation plan into action or if it was just the world "burping"?

And should it change anything?

1 comment:

Brad said...

The amount of activity is actually not really that much above normal; it's more a combination of the fact we live in more places and the media is a lot quicker than it used to be :)

The volcano is an interesting one; but not abnormal. In fact, I'm sometimes surprised that people don't expect these things to happen. If it erupts for long enough it could throw a wrench into forecasting a nice warm summer P:

Also, I'll see if I can dig up some books, but my wife is doing a course on the big scary book of Revelation and is learning lots of really neat stuff about it. She's even convinced me of it. So I'll pass this one thing along (and feel free to bug me if you'd like to read a book on it or anything): Revelation is a promise of hope, an encouragement for the Church to look up and forward towards God, and a book of worship.

It's not nearly as scary when you see it that way. It also, to me, fits in with the rest of the Bible much better :)