Monday, December 20, 2010

Mouse

There's a mouse in my house. Possibly more. My cats were playing soccer with one they had caught and killed last weekend, and as I went to put a dish in the dishwasher this morning, I saw a flash of tail scurry behind the stove. My girls have spent a lot of time in the kitchen inspecting, but no success yet on this one.

Oi. I suppose having a mouse [family] isn't a huge surprise, given the age of my house (almost sixty years); still, given this week, it was like adding insult to injury. We had a blizzard on Wednesday/Thursday, and I have been shoveling my driveway ever since. I shoveled for two hours on Wednesday evening, and only got 2/3 of it. However, considering I felt like throwing up after that stint, I decided to listen to my body and pace myself. I have been working away at it for 30-45 minutes at a time each day after that. I'm almost done. Except that it keeps snowing. And my body's not used to the physical demand. I ache all over. And the cough/cold that has moved through the entire Kindergarten class that I am in finally found me in my weakness. I am seriously reconsidering purchasing a snow blower for large dumps of snow such as Wednesday's. An inch is one thing--ten is entirely another. Who buys a house with a huge driveway, anyway? (Oh, wait...)

I have been fighting the snow. And fighting a cold. And now I am fighting a mouse.

1 comment:

Margaret said...

MICE

I think mice are rather nice;
Their tails are long, their faces small;
They haven't any chins at all.
Their ears are pink, their teeth are white,
They run about the house at night;
They nibble things they shouldn't touch,
and, no one seems to like them much,
but, I think mice are rather nice.

By Rose Fyleman

It's okay. They're not rats. If the cats don't manage 'em for you, bring out the Big Guns and call in an exterminator. Or put out cheese...and think of 'em as hamsters with less fur. Almost as cute.

Definitely get the snow-blower -- preferably, on sale.

Chicken soup. Sleep. Don't fuss over Christmas. Get well. Love you, +++++++++++++++

Mom