Sunday, January 16, 2011

Stars and the Starmaker

I was maybe nine or ten when I discovered the Zodiac. I quickly identified with my sign, Capricorn, and even as an adult who doesn't take astrology seriously, I find some of the characteristics of the Capricorn to be eerily accurate. So when the recent news craze appeared stating that the dates delineating the Zodiac signs has shifted, even I--who don't put my faith in such things--resisted the idea that I now have to call myself a Sagittarius.

I started thinking... if even I get unnerved about the idea that I have to change my sign, then how disconcerting must it be for those who form their identity and live out their lives based on astrological signs? If everything is shifting--if the stars no longer line up the way they used to--how does that change how one lives? And how does one keep track?

At this point, I was washed over with a great sense of relief.

Finally, I thought, a point for Christianity. ...My God never changes.

2 comments:

Margaret said...

And isn't it a blessing to know that even if the stars shift a bit in their orbits, the One who put them there knows?

Christen said...

I've never been tempted by the zodiac, I was until recently considered a Leo and I identify with very little of the Leo traits. I am now apparently a Cancer, and although it seems to fit me more than Leo, I still don't seem to fit the description.

It's always made me feel special, knowing that I am not just a product of the stars I was born under. I am unique, sort of like someone designed me intentionally and specially...and that's way better than being able to predict what might happen to me tomorrow.