Friday, February 20, 2009

Accessorizing

I am going on a two-week mission in May to Haiti (!), and of course, I want to be able to take my DSLR down with me. I will take the compact, too, but I can't go down to Haiti and not take my DSLR. That being said, I live in Alberta. Which is a prairie province. A dry prairie province. Haiti is not so dry. In fact, it will probably be the most humid country I've travelled to thus far. So humid that after the first year people from our church went down, they nixed the crafts with the kids because the glue didn't work, the tape didn't work, and in some cases, even cutting didn't work all that well. It's that humid. I knew this wouldn't be good for my camera.

High humidity can damage electronics (in the case of film cameras, did you know that mold can grow on film?). So what's a shutterbug to do? ...Order a waterproof case, that's what she does!

I went to a scuba website (http://www.primescuba.com) and ordered the DiCaPac SLR Waterproof Case. I picked it up from UPS today! The manual said to test its quality by placing paper towel or a similar item into the case, seal it up, and get the thing wet. Obviously, if there's a leak somewhere, it's good to know right off the bat. I put three kleenexes into the case, sprayed it down in the kitchen sink, and the kleenex is still dry. ...There's a possibility I'm going swimming with my respite family tomorrow... I might get adventurous...

No comments: