Monday, January 18, 2010

Superheroes and Brain Surgeons

I realized it has been a couple weeks since I've blogged; what HAVE I been doing? Well, apart from jumping back into the world of work and extracurriculars after the holidays, I have spent less of my free time on my laptop and more of it lately feeding my TV addiction: Grey's Anatomy.

Over the holidays, I acquired Seasons One, Two, and Three on DVD. And in the last three weeks, I have watched them in their entirety. Sad. Or disgusting. Or hardcore. However you want to look at it. To be fair, the first week I was still on holidays with oodles of free time, and the first season of Grey's is only nine episodes; not the typical twenty-something of a regular season. But yes, I realize that's still a LOT of Grey's in a very short time period. I loved it.

I don't know exactly what it is about Grey's that I love so much. No, it's not Dr. McDreamy (Patrick Dempsey). He's great and all, and I love that I share my birthday with him, but let's get real--do you know how much older he is than me? And I'm quite beyond Hollywood crushes. The male lead is not the key factor. Maybe it's the drama. My life is not nearly as chaotic or dramatic, but they DO deal with issues that fall (or could fall) into the realm of my adult world. Maybe it's the science. My major was psych, but my minor was biology. I'm fascinated by rare conditions, the human anatomy, and anything that has to do with the brain. Maybe it's the script. The dialogue between characters right down to the one-liners--the comic relief is hilarious, and the rest is poetic and true. Maybe it's the characters. I don't really identify with any one character, but I love how each is completely unique, and I love the dynamic between them. Seriously.



I dunno. I have only ever been as intensely into one other television show, and it wasn't really the same genre. When I was in high school, I was completely into Lois & Clark: The New Adventures of Superman. Not exactly similar to Grey's, hey? There was no drama. Well, not the soaps-style drama that Grey's offers. L&C was more of a catch-the-bad-guy each week with a Lex Luthor sub-plot that came up a few times each season. And there was no science. More like science fiction (obviously not too much, otherwise I wouldn't have watched it). But the script... the characters... yup, that's what drew me into that one. I strongly identified with Lois Lane, and totally wished I had personal connections to a guy who could fly. And again, the one-liners; hilarious. The dialogue; endearing.

For those of you who missed it in the 90's, and for those of you who would like a stroll down memory lane:


Yeah, I guess some of it's kinda cheezy looking back. And I'm sure ten years from now, I'll watch my Grey's DVDs and think they were kinda cheezy, too. I went from a man in tights to doctors in lab coats; kryptonite to chemo; superheroes to brain surgeons.

2 comments:

Sara said...

Can't believe I missed this post until now. :) I haven't seen a single episode of Grey's, but I'm glad you're enjoying it. :) I, too, have watched some LnC in the last year or two, and it's kind of sad to realize how cheesy it is at times. Especially the 4th season. Is this part of growing up? It seems most of the stuff I used to love just doesn't interest me much anymore. I think I actually cried about it a month or two ago, asking Jeremy "Have I lost my imagination?!" Poor guy. Of course, I am pregnant...

Margaret said...

Sweetie,

I'm rather behind checking in with your blog, but *love* this post -- funny, interesting, thoughtful too. You love Grey's the way I love 84 CC Road -- to the point where I know most of the lines. Why? I am not a single-never-married script writer/reader/editor...but there's something about the reality of the characters (and yes, even if it's based on real life, the cast selection is key)...and there a satisfying sense that in the end, the good guys/gals "win" (or at least learn something!)