Saturday, July 31, 2010

Something That Lasts


The blanket is an antique. Which sounds weird to say, because normally when I hear the word "antique", I associate it with things that are dusty and breakable. Certainly not a blanket. But at 86 years old, it's certainly not new.

The blanket isn't much, either, relatively speaking. Just two sheets quilted together, with stitching to delineate thirty squares; a simple picture embroidered in red thread on each. And red trimming around the edge. My great aunt made it when she was 17. In her older years, she quilted several blankets--specifically for me--the substance of which far exceeds the simplicity of this antiquity. It is not a cozy-by-the-winter-fireplace kind of blanket. Or even a Sunday-afternoon-nap-on-the-couch kind of blanket. It is a summer blanket. And I love it.

I acquired it ten years ago, and since then, it has come in so handy each summer. It spent four summers (possibly five?) serving as a sunning/napping blanket on my breaks at work. It participates in at least one picnic outing each year. It was once an inner lining for my sleeping bag. Once a back-drop for a photo shoot. Folded up, it has served on occasion as a sit-upon. And just last week, it was a table cloth.

Every time I pull this blanket out of the linen closet, I marvel at it. It is the oldest blanket I own (second in line is my 35-year-old sleeping bag, which deserves a blog post in its own right). I am continually in awe that after 86 years, it hasn't disintegrated. It is certainly not in pristine condition. There are rips and tears around the edge where the fabric has worn. Some of the trim is faded. There are a couple small holes. And a few small (like pea-sized or less) stains. And yet... I feel that, given its age, this blanket is in really good shape! ...The embroidery threads haven't unraveled or broken, meaning that all the pictures are still pictures. And it's still white! (Certainly with no bleach on my part to keep it that way.)


I love how old things last. We live in an age where so much is disposable--and is seemingly made to only last a short time. If the electronics crap out, or a part breaks, or something rips we just up and buy a new one. Is there anything we can hold on to anymore? Along with this blanket, I cherish things such as my dad's Canon SLR (not an antique, but still...), a turntable and handful of records, and my grandma's Hawkeye Brownie and Jiffy Kodak cameras. And all these things still work! I know my own DSLR won't last long enough to pass to my child, let alone a grandchild. And I've already worn out two CD players in the last 12 years. Nuthin' special about passing one of those down. ...Is there anything that will last long enough to carry my personal history forward?

...Possibly a blanket...

No comments: