Saturday, September 25, 2010

No Agenda

I've misplaced my day timer. Well, no. I'm pretty sure I know where it's at. I'm 99% sure it's in my house (the one I'm moving into next month and therefore can't get into right now), but my realtor said she couldn't find it when she went to look for it. I could get a new one, but September is a strange time to buy a new day timer--they don't really make 16-month day timers the way they do calendars. It's kind of expensive to get a new day timer for not even four months. And I have a lot of information in my current day timer from over time that has come in handy throughout the year. I want my day timer. But I'm trying to wait until I take possession in just under a month. My realtor was really nice to go look for it in the middle of her day; I don't want to ask to meet her there one more time. I'll try to wait.

It's a bit more challenging not having my agenda with me. I'm living off Post-it notes. Meetings, doctor's appointments, out-of-the-ordinary respite. My brain is oddly good with numbers (thanks, Dad), but it's a pretty tall order to trust it with an indefinite time frame. I'm not that good. ...Challenging.

And then along comes today. Saturday. In a completely different sense, I also have no agenda. As in, I had no obligations today. I could play out today however I chose. So. I chose super comfy clothes. I chose to pick up my camera, lenses, and tripod. I chose to leave my car and take the train. I chose to take advantage of this impromptu summer day in the middle of autumn. And I chose to capture elements of it in pictures.

Fully Feather by gina.blank During the week, I like to know what activities I have going on. They're generally things I like to do and/or can look forward to in the dull moments of my day. Still, my week is delineated in these set blocks of time; I enjoy these activities at a pace set by the start time of the next thing (whether that be small group, respite, or bed time). I try to keep my Saturdays as agenda-free as possible. Today, it afforded me the time to lie on my belly and get just the right close-up of a feather in the grass. It allowed me to tackle a decent chunk of a book I'm working through. It allowed for an impromptu social meet-up that didn't end with, "well, I gotta run!" And it allowed for maximum enjoyment of the sunny blessing that was poured over the city today!

No Post-its today.

1 comment:

Sara said...

Nice. Sort of. A little disconcerting until you know it's not completely gone, right? What about printing out a month calendar to keep with you and write things on? Excited about your new house!