Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Lovely Weather for a Snowshoe AND 229/365

We were spoiled this winter. Temperatures sat around -5C most days, and very little snow. While farmers are already complaining, my snow shovel certainly was not. Still, without any snow, Edmonton lacked any sort of winter aesthetic quality that it could have had. Also, there was no snowshoeing.

Snowshoeing is generally a weekly excursion in the winter--a chance to catch up with friends and be physically active at the same time. Not so much this year. I snowshoed in Edmonton four times. I gained eight pounds.

So, when it was suggested that we go snowshoeing in the mountains, there was actually a fair bit of excitement about the idea. Factor in a great deal on Expedia, and you've got the makings of a good girls' weekend. It seemed like it had been forever since I'd had a girls' weekend. Really, it was only last summer, but we only ventured about an hour and a half from home on that trip, so I guess it didn't really feel like we "got away." A five hour drive to the mountains (complete with awesome 90's music and a Gasoline Alley pit stop)--now that feels more like a getaway!

We opted to trek along the Chester Lake trail near Canmore. I was actually worried there wouldn't be enough snow--how easily I doubt! We were quite thankful that we didn't have to break trail. There was plenty of the fluffy stuff--everywhere.

Conversation on the trail happened in small doses, in between the uphill climbs requiring a larger lung capacity. I always have the convenient excuse of stopping to take a photograph whenever I want a break. As such, I generally 'bring up the rear', and this hike was no different.

Up the hill, through the meadow, and down the trail a bit more to reach Chester Lake. ....We didn't actually see the lake, but we're presuming that it's there, under all the snow! We stopped and ate there, regardless. The lunch break was shorter than it would be in the summer. Snow pants are no substitute for the warmth of the sun on bare legs. We all started cooling off fairly quickly, and pretty much started heading back down the mountain after the last bite of sandwich had been swallowed.

Often throughout the year, but especially when I travel to the mountains, I remember how blessed I am to live in this province. Alberta is so rich in scenery, and the mountains sure hold the upper hand in that respect. I have to admit, the only thing more perfect would have been to see it against the backdrop of a blue sky, but the contrast of green conifers covered in lumps of snow against the white sky was eye-catching, too. Especially the vastness of it all. And the way the mountains seemed to almost hide in the snowy background--not prominent, and yet definitely present. There was a soft, muted quality to the wintry surroundings, and yet, a fresh fragrance akin to the one I breathe deeply each summer. 

By the time we reached the bottom, my thighs hurt with every step, and the snow was falling thicker and faster. It was definitely time to head back to the hotel's hot tub. We threw the car into reverse, and it satisfyingly cut through the snow drifts of the parking lot like butter. Considering we had just covered an advertised 4-hour snowshoe hike in roughly 3-hours, I was feeling a similar satisfaction myself.

229/365

"Unusual travel suggestions are dancing lessons from God."
-- Kurt Vonnegut

No comments: