Saturday, March 6, 2010

Not So Different...

Okay, so I recently watched an 80's teen movie called Can't Buy Me Love. It was recommended to me by a friend cuz the male lead is Patrick Dempsey, who is also the male lead on Grey's. From the outset, I knew this would not be a 'substance' movie. I expected 80's cheese, and it was 80's cheese.

But I had to wonder a couple times: if I had been a young adult in the late 80's and had watched the movie 20 years ago when it was new, would I have thought it to be cheesy, or would I have thought it was a feel-good teen movie? A while ago, I posted about how, re-watching some old clips of Lois & Clark, I could admit that it was definitely a bit cheesy twelve years later. But I sure didn't think that when I was sixteen! ...Maybe cheese is relative?

Okay, so here's the final scene from Can't Buy Me Love. Context: geek pays popular girl to go out with him, but even though she ends up really liking him, she blows his cover in a moment of weakness. There's animosity. Can chic and geek really co-exist together?


Now here's the ending scene from the fourth season finale of Grey's, which I was watching this evening. Context: on-again-off-again for the last three years, Meredith and Derek are discovering themselves and what they really want out of relationships.


Really, what's so different about a kiss riding into the Arizona sunset and a kiss atop a Washington cliff in a candle lit house plan? I think it's just time that renders the former cheesy. Clothing trends change. Issues-of-the-day change. But the concept... discovering what really matters in making a relationship work; discovering that there's someone who loves you for who you are; having that true love approach you with the kiss you've been waiting for for who knows how long; having the happy ending... The concept is timeless.

No comments: