Sunday, May 16, 2010

BBQ!

Today I barbequed for the first time. I inherited JM's old (ancient?) BBQ when she moved. She assured me that it worked (with a caveat that some parts might need fiddling around with), so I decided to test things out this afternoon. When all systems looked good but nothing was happening, I was concerned that the tank might be empty. I was prepared for this, given the lightness of the tank when I initially brought it home. However, a neighbour's quick inspection found that the tank just wasn't screwed in tight enough to the hose to engage the flow of propane. ...And the ignite button's broken, but not crucial for successful lighting.

So I was up and running! I seasoned my steak accordingly and put it on the grill. I then oscillated back-and-forth between photo editing, meat-checking, photo editing, meat checking. It looked good; it smelled good. When I started thinking my steak must be close to ready, I realized that my barbeque was no longer lit. It had run out of propane.

I was prepared for a slightly less-well-done steak than is my preference, but upon cutting into it, it was nothing but perfect. Just the faintest hint of pink on the inside. I had had just enough propane for my steak. I smiled. I may have also engaged in a very mild happy dance. I complemented my steak with corn on the cob, grape tomatoes, and cucumber slices. I sat down and enjoyed a perfect summer time meal.

In the same breath with which JM assured me the BBQ worked, she also assured me that it would "revolutionize" my summer. ...I think she's right.

2 comments:

Emily Gardner said...

Mmmm...that sounds amazing. I SO wish we lived in an apartment that allowed grills. You'll just have to post more of your grilling adventures (when you get more propane) so I can experience it through you. (:

Unknown said...

Grilling the corn on the cob just until it turns bright yellow takes it to a whole new level too... (for next time!)