Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Fleurs!

I am not the best green thumb in the world. Indoors, the only plant I have ever managed to keep alive (and propogate, actually) is a philodendron that lives on my bookshelf. I have killed all the other so-called 'hearty' plants I've ever owned: ivy, spider plants, cacti, bamboo. This year, mind you, people seem to keep thinking that I must know what to do with plants, because they keep giving them to me.

It started with a lavender that NA gave me about a month ago; which I seem to have transplanted successfully to an outdoor box. Don't ask me what happens when I need to bring it back inside in the fall. Then, JP's aloe plant exploded baby offshoots, so she gave me one of those. A week-and-a-half and it's still alive; that's a good sign! Last week, my mom offered me a tomato plant seedling. Considering last year I seemed to grow them quite successfully without even trying, I figured I could try one on purpose. He got transplanted today, and I will move him outside once it's more predictably warm. And today, a coworker bought me a peace lily plant to say thanks for taking photos of her kids. As that plant needs "indirect" sunlight, I am keeping it at work and away from my south-facing, large-windowed condo. The plant is beautiful and I want to keep it alive.

And yes, I've even bought plants myself on purpose. I went to Costco last week with my friend JC and bought flowers for my balcony boxes. The last couple of years, I have had moderate success with vegetables. This year, since my place is up for sale and I am hopefully moving (two months and no showings later...), I thought flowers would be a better option aesthetically and practically.


The day after I bedded them, we had the rain of all rains, and then four more days of subsequent drizzle and cloud. I watched as all my flowers got repeatedly beat up. A week later, and they're faring all right. The two boxes contain the same flowers. The hanging, vine-like flowers in one of the boxes is looking quite sad, and I think it's beyond recussitation at this point. Everything else seems to be doing just fine, however. The daisies, which spent last week with its petals mushed together, have opened up to the sunlight that returned yesterday. And the pansies are starting to lift their heads again, too.

Purple by gina.blankWho knows? You kill enough plants, something's gotta start living, right? ;)

No comments: