Monday, December 12, 2011

Toilet Training OR 134/365

So here's the story:

1. My toilet's flapper valve wasn't sealing properly, thus wasting water.
2. In replacing it, the toilet tank got cracked.
3. The old toilet tank got replaced with a new-style, dual-flush tank.
4. Except my dual-flush tank doesn't flush all that great... thus wasting water.

After a bit of research, a website informed me that fancy shmancy dual-flush tanks aren't really meant for regular ol' toilet bowls.

Great.

Toilet Training OR 134/365 by gina.blank

One of those household lessons learned the hard way, I guess. On the plus side, the flush valve doesn't leak...

I am hesitant to replace the entire toilet, because, well, the dual-flush tank was at no cost to me (as I was not the one who broke it). And it was enough of a process as it was to get it replaced. It was not fun to have to use the basement toilet while the main toilet was in the process of being fixed (especially first thing in the morning--it's chilly down there!!!).

That being said, as I've pondered the basement toilet, I've started to wonder if perhaps I can just switch tanks... The toilet downstairs is used so infrequently that if it takes an extra flush on the rare occasion someone uses it, it will not drain the entire North Saskatchewan River like I feel I've been doing this past week.

I want to research and fiddle bit more, though; sometimes the toilet actually flushes on the first try. And I want to figure out why this is. If I have exhausted my learning and have still come to the conclusion that I can't improve my toilet's flush quality, then I will pull out the big guns once again.

........I can't believe I just blogged about my toilet.

No comments: