Tuesday, August 2, 2011

It's Just Better Literature

I have read the entire Harry Potter series (more than once!). Sadly, I also wasted part of a summer reading through the Twilight series. It just didn't compare. While I know that many people enjoy the Twilight series--books and movies alike--the sensationalism that surrounds Harry Potter is not just because of great special effects and good-looking actors. It's because those excellent movies have been created from excellent literature. While I felt Stephenie Meyers wrote emotion into her books quite well, I was continually disappointed with the weak plot (that got weaker with each book), and overall lack of... substance (resilience? initiative? maturity?) in the main characters.

Let me show you what I mean.


"Harry Potter is about confronting fears, finding inner strength and doing what is right in the face of adversity. Twilight is about how important it is to have a boyfriend." — Stephen King

Well said, Stephen. Well said. 

No comments: