Monday, August 1, 2011

My Year in Pictures OR 1/365

I have spent a lot of time this summer honing my photography skills--in the field, in the literature, and through a wide array of photography websites. I stumbled upon something called Project 365 last week. Back in 2004, some guy took his picture every day for a year to chronicle life's happenings, and the idea became a hit. I like the idea, too.

As someone who takes photos on a regular basis anyway, one may wonder what attracted me to engaging in this specific creative activity. Well, as every shutterbug knows, the one taking all the pictures is rarely the one in the pictures. This will get me a year's worth of current portraits, if nothing else.

Also, while I shoot regularly, I don't necessarily shoot every day. I am generally shooting specific events or locations. And when I am shooting people "in the everyday", it's rarely my "every day." So this will encourage me to think of some creative ways to get my portrait captured each day.

So. Today is Day 1. Why not wait til the New Year? you ask. Makes sense to begin something at the beginning of the year. That being said, I don't want to wait that long. Also, starting in August is me already starting to think creatively. It would be predictable to start January 1. There's more of a story behind August 1. And the story is this:

August 1 marks the half way point of summer. There is a subtle transition in the way one engages with summer between July and August, I feel. As we move through summer, it seems the harvest has begun, both literally and figuratively. After a crazy, often wearisome winter, I have noticed that I am well-rested and pretty much fully refreshed. I needed the break, and am thankful for it. I am experiencing harvest in regards to my time, my relationships, and my experiences. As August has approached, I look forward to what my work and social life has in store come the fall.

More literally speaking, I have started pulling vegetables from the garden, and picking berries before they drop from trees. It has been such an exciting experience! I'm not quite sure what will happen when I do go back to work next week and don't have nearly as much time to weed, pick, wash, bake, freeze, etc., but I have been taking advantage of the time I have currently, and I am enjoying every step!

August 1 to August 1. Harvest to Harvest. After a very emptying winter, and even spring, I feel that's a positive way to track the year ahead.

My Year in Pictures OR 1/365 by gina.blank
Today, my mom took me to the Rochon Sands beach. It was plus-twenty-something celsius, and not a cloud in the sky. And by Alberta standards, the water was warm (although clearly, from the picture, still a bit 'refreshing' with that first dip!). A blanket, a book, a picnic lunch, our favourite hobbies (photography for me, knitting for her), a dip in the water, and sunshine. Rest. Peace. Harvest.

1 comment:

Sara said...

You should come visit us in the summer - the water was almost warm when we went to the "beach" (actually in Chesapeake Bay) last Saturday! I look forward to seeing your 365 project as it unfolds!