Tuesday, November 14, 2017

#IAmGrateful 14

Alone Time

Alone time is not an option for me. To be my best self with people, I need regular time apart from people.

I have a collection of quiet spaces. In the summer, my hammock hugs my introverted soul; in the depths of winter, a hot bubble bath does the same. I have claimed the river valley for my own some days, and there's a reason I enjoy driving so much. And after a long or hard or just-too-people-y day, the best quiet space is home.

Growing up, my two favourite oases for alone time were my bedroom and the living room. As an adult, not much has changed; they are still my two favourite spots in the house to curl up with a book, my journal, or my laptop. Put on some acoustic guitar, light a candle, find a cat--and I am set to settle in for the evening.

I am so grateful for these spaces. And grateful to have a lifestyle where this needed time is generally easy to come by--my routine includes it, my coworkers respect it, and my closest friends 'get' it.


No comments: