Wednesday, November 8, 2017

#IAmGrateful 8

Technology

I'm a bit of a contradiction when it comes to technology. I am tech savvy enough to navigate most of what 2017 has to offer, but I'm not an early adopter of anything, because I'm also one of those people who will use something until it's absolutely worn out or completely incompatible with my life. Which basically means that I have the newest MacBook, but I still own a tube TV.

But when I think about the technology that has become meaningful in my everyday life, I am floored by its power.

You guys.

I can take a photo on my phone, then open the image on my laptop without having to connect the two devices together.

I can have a "face-to-face" visit with friends who live far away.

I can draft an entire essay on my iPad simply by speaking into it.

I can can unlock my phone and laptop with my fingerprint.

I can use my phone as a boarding pass.

I can use my phone as a concert ticket.

I can use my phone as a remote control for my camera.

And on the topic of digital cameras, can I just note that I would not be the photographer I am today were I reliant on film (or I would be, but I'd be flat broke, one of the two).

...So for all the hazards that come along with technology--the risk of wi-fi signals on our physiology, the effect of extended screen use on our health and well-being, the time suck that is the internet, etc.--I must say, I am still quite grateful.

Apple Over the Years by Gina Blank on 500px.com

No comments: